Feel Good Hearty Granola Bars
Yield: 14-16 large bars
1 1/2 cups (360 g) mashed ripe banana (about 3 large)
1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
2 cups (200 g) rolled oats
1/2 to 3/4 cup (60 to 90 g) dried cherries, cranberries, or blueberries, to taste*
1/2 cup (50 g) walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup (75 g) sunflower seeds
1/2 cup (80 g) pepita seeds
1/2 cup (60 g) sliced almonds
1/4 cup (35 g) hemp hearts
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a large rectangular baking dish (approximately 9″ x 13″) and line with a piece of parchment paper (with overhang) so the bars are easier to remove.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana until smooth. Make sure you have 1 1/2 cups.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Place the oats into a food processor (or blender set on the lowest speed) and pulse until the oats are coarsely chopped (but still have lots of texture). Stir the chopped oats into the banana mixture until fully incorporated.
- Stir the dried fruit, walnuts, sunflower and pepita seeds, almonds, hemp hearts, cinnamon, and salt into the banana-oat mixture until thoroughly combined. The dough will be very heavy and a bit wet.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish. With lightly wet hands, smooth out until even and uniform. Press down on the dough until compacted.
- Bake for 22 to 26 minutes, until firm and lightly golden along the edges.
- Place the dish on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, then carefully slide a knife to loosen the ends and gently lift out. Place the slab on a cooling rack until completely cool.
- Once cool, slice into bars. Leftovers can be wrapped up and stored in the fridge for a week, or stored in the freezer for 4 to 6 weeks.
Source (recipe & picture): Oh She Glows
Serving: 1 bar