Mac & Cheese with Cauliflower
Yield: 4 servings
2 cups uncooked macaroni pasta
2 cups cauliflower, crumbled or diced very small
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp onion, diced
2 tbsp all purpose flour (or rice flour for gluten-free)
2 cups 1% milk
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
Pinch of cayenne
Pinch of ground black pepper
2 tsp Dijon mustard
½ cup low fat Swiss cheese, grated
½ cup low fat old cheddar cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cauliflower and cook for nine to 12 minutes or according to package directions of pasta. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat in a large metal skillet. Add the onion and cook for two to three minutes until golden. Add the garlic and cook for an additional two minutes.
- Add flour and whisk into oil with a fork. Stir constantly for one or two minutes, until the mixture becomes a golden colour.
- Add the milk slowly while whisking into the flour mixture. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pot for seven to nine minutes, until thick. Once desired thickness is achieved add nutmeg, cayenne, pepper, Dijon, and cheese. Mix together.
- Combine pasta, cauliflower and cheese sauce in a casserole dish. In a separate bowl, mix together breadcrumbs parmesan cheese and olive oil. Crumble together with fingers and top the pasta. Place under a broiler for three to four minutes until golden.
Nutrition Facts (estimated):
Serving: 1 serving