Updated Shepherd’s Pie
Yield: 6 servings
1 ¼ lb red potatoes, cut into chunks, skins on
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 cup 2% cottage cheese
1 lb lean ground beef
1 tablespoon ketchup
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups frozen vegetables
¾ cup sodium-reduced beef broth
- Cover potatoes and garlic with water in large saucepan. Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Drain and return to saucepan.
- Meanwhile place cottage cheese in food processor or blender. Process until smooth scraping sides of container once. Add to potatoes.
- Mash and stir in ¼ cup cheddar cheese. Set aside
- Heat oven to 350⁰F.
- Brown meat in large pan. Drain off excess fat.
- Stir flour into meat mixture. Cook for 1 minute. Add vegetables, broth and ketchup. Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Spoon meat mixture into 8 inch square baking dish. Cover with mashed potatoes and top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts (estimated):
Serving: 1 serving