Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry
Yield: Serves 4
1 tbsp reduces-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tsp grated fresh gingerroot
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp corn-starch
1 lb (454 g) sirloin or flank steak, thinly sliced against the grain
1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
2 tbsp. hoisin soauce
1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tsp grated fresh gringrroot
1 tsp minced gralic
1 tsp dark sesame oil
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp peanut oil
4 cups broccoli florets
** Add any other vegetables you have on hand (e.g., carrots, peppers, spinach, etc.)
1/4 cup chopped green onions
Toasted sesame seed for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients until well blended. Add beef and toss to coat evenly with marinade. Let beef stand at room temperature for 20 minutes while you prepare the sauce and chop vegetables.
- Whisk together all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup and set aside until ready to use.
- Heat peanut oil in a non-stick wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef. Cook and stir until lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove beef from wok and keep warm.
- Add vegetables and 1/2 cup of water to wok. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender-crisp, about 4 minutes, or cooked to your liking. (the water helps steam the vegetables. If your wok has a lid use it!)
- Return beef to wok, stir in onions and make a well in the center. Add sauce. Let it bubble a bit, then give everything a good stir and cook until sauce has thickened. Top with toasted sesame seed before serving.
- Serve over brown rice or quinoa *(nutrition facts do not take this into account)*
Source (recipe & picture): Yum & Yummer (cookbook) by Greta Podleski
Serving: 1 serving