Egg, Tomato & Cheese Breakfast Pizzas
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
4 whole wheat pita breads, about 7 inches (18 cm)
1 cup (250 mL) shredded Mozzarella cheese
2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
4 large eggs
1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) dried basil *
1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) salt
2 tsp (10 mL) butter
1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh chives or green onions
*If you have fresh basil on hand, add 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh basil to the eggs instead of the dried basil, and sprinkle baked pizzas with more chopped fresh basil to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
- Place pita breads on a large baking sheet, overlapping slightly at edges, if necessary. Sprinkle evenly with half of the Mozzarella and top with sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with pepper to taste. Bake for 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and tomatoes are hot.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together eggs, basil, salt and a pinch of pepper until frothy.
- In a nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and add egg mixture; cook, scrambling gently for about 1 minute or until just set.
- Remove pitas from oven. Spoon egg mixture on top, dividing equally. Sprinkle with remaining Mozzarella and chives or green onions. Bake for about 2 minutes or until pitas are crisp around the edges and cheese is melted.
Source (recipe & picture): Dairy Farmers of Ontario
Serving: 1 serving