Portobello Mushroom Black Bean Burgers
Yield: 6 burgers
2 cups Portobello mushrooms, cubed (smaller pieces); gills removed
2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed and divided
1 cup minced broccoli, fresh only
1/2 cup red onion, minced
3 XL eggs, beaten
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp Panko or Gluten Free Panko
1 tbsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 tbsp Worcestershire
2 tbsp minced garlic
3/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan
*Look for vegetarian or vegan Parmesan cheese if you do not eat animal products
- In a large bowl add 1 cup of black beans and mash with a masher (chunks are OK).
- Next, add in the mushrooms, the rest of the beans, broccoli, garlic, onion, Worcestershire and steak seasoning.
- Mix just until coated.
- Set aside while you place a medium non-stick pan over medium heat and add in 2 tbsp of oil .
- Once the oil starts to shimmer (about a minute or two), using dampened hands (the mixture will stick to you if you don’t), scoop a 1/2 cup of mixture into the palm of your hand and gently shape into a burger all the while pressing together. The mixture should hold a burger shape. If it doesn’t add just a tbsp more of bread crumbs.
- Place in the oil and cook for 3-5 minutes per side or until golden brown and a crust has formed on each side.
- Serve with hummus, guacamole or steak sauce.
To Make it Vegan:
- Insead of eggs, use 1 tbsp flax seed meal & 3 tbsp water for each egg.
- Replace cheese with vegan cheese or nutritional yeast.
* It is not recommended to make ahead. The mushrooms will start to seep water which will turn the patties mushy.
* Patties must be cooked fully before freezing.
Serving: 1 burger